12/11/13 - Pathology Results

Yesterday I went to see the surgeon because of the horrible rash I was experiencing. Turns out I had an allergic reaction to the Chlorhexidine Gluconate which is the pre-surgery skin prep they used on me. She prescribed a stronger steroid which seems to be helping. If that doesn't work I will have to go on a course of oral steroids which I'm trying to avoid.

She also gave me the results of my pathology report. It seems the triple negative tumor shrunk from 1.4cm down to 3mm which is excellent news. The HER2 tumor wasn't as cooperative. It shrunk from 1.5cm to 1.4cm - pesky little bugger. She was able to get clear margins on both tumors which means no more surgery - yipeeee. I didn't get a complete pathological response, but at least the triple negative tumor responded well. I will continue on with Herceptin infusions to treat any HER2 residuals. They also want me to do six weeks of daily radiation (excluding weekends). The Radiation Oncologist is an hour drive from my house without traffic. They say if I don't do radiation I have a 50% chance of the cancer returning in the same breast. I'm not liking those odds too much, but at the same time I really don't want to do radiation. I will meet with a Radiation Oncologist and see what they have to say. I knew going in if I had a lumpectomy I would have to do rads, but now that I've reached that portion of the treatment plan, I'm a bit overwhelmed.

So, there you have it. Monday is Herceptin infusion day and then I think I will take a break from cancer and enjoy my holiday. Nothing else is scheduled until after Jan. 1st.

I can't thank everyone enough for all their prayers and well wishes. Having support makes all the difference in this battle.

Thanks for checking on me,

Beppy

No comments:

Post a Comment